Individuals who are suffering from symptoms of depression on a daily basis are often diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD). Though there are many types of depression, including anxious distress, atypical features, psychotic features, catatonia, peripartum onset, melancholic features, and mixed features, severe depression can be disabling in all of its forms. The Mayo Clinic notes that symptoms can often include the following:
– Feelings of sadness, emptiness or unhappiness
– Angry outbursts, irritability or frustration, even over small matters
– Loss of interest or pleasure in normal activities, such as sex
– Sleep disturbances, including insomnia or sleeping too much
– Tiredness and lack of energy, so that even small tasks take extra effort
– Changes in appetite — often reduced appetite and weight loss, but increased cravings for food and weight gain in some people
– Anxiety, agitation or restlessness — for example, excessive worrying, pacing, hand-wringing or an inability to sit still
– Slowed thinking, speaking or body movements
– Feelings of worthlessness or guilt, fixating on past failures or blaming yourself for things that are not your responsibility
– Trouble thinking, concentrating, making decisions and remembering things
– Frequent thoughts of death, suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts or suicide
– Unexplained physical problems, such as back pain or headaches
Without question, it is unlikely that a person who has an inescapable lack of energy combined with feelings of worthlessness and emptiness will be able to follow a substantially gainful occupation, especially if his or her depression is causing suicidal ideation or angry outbursts. If your depression is severe and has continued despite ongoing treatment, you may be eligible for Social Security disability benefits.
Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) can limit a person’s ability to work full-time, making him or her eligible for disability benefits. To learn more or to have an attorney evaluate your claim for benefits, please call our office or fill out the contact form located on the upper right of this page.